Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A WINNING TRIP


Ivy Wisco Marketing Manager of Moneygram presented the award to John Lacson of Pinoywired.com. Photo courtesy of Jojo Margen, Balita Media.

Dec 6, 2007 was the date that I was awarded 1st prize for the Balita Media Inc Literary Award for Poetry. This event was the company’s annual Christmas party and awards night. There were 12 winners from different categories such as High School, College/Adult, and Seniors divisions. Being a baby boomer, I belonged to the category for seniors. Almost AARP, mind you. This was a high-end event held at the Universal Hilton hotel right there in the middle of “The Studios”!

The 90-minute drive from Riverside, California to Universal city was of course stressful and snail-paced on account of the rush hour traffic. The event started at 7:00pm that evening and I checked map quest on my laptop before I left making sure I had the right directions. This was an event I would hate to miss since I was looking forward to receiving that award.

I made it. Arrived barely on time and checked in with the pretty ladies manning the guest registration desk. Giving my name, the lass who helped me identified that I was an award winner and gave me her winning smile. It’s nice how people can be extra nice when they recognize a positive individual. The lady took me to my table where my fellow winners sat in anticipation of the night ahead.

The evening’s program was all class. Speakers, entertainers, and dignitaries where there to enhance the quality of the event. The food buffet was delicious and one of the best I have tried. I imagine we, in that winners’ table all felt the same way. Feeling wonderful in knowing that the award we were going to get reflected media recognition that we indeed had that ability, that talent to take the pen and create a piece that was appreciated. Writing is a passion that is innate. A literary piece is conceived in our mind as an idea and stays in our heart like a child waiting to be born. Some individuals do something about this desire by taking a pen (or laptop) and starting scribing their thoughts away. Some don’t do anything about it. Outwardly you don’t die if nothing is done, but inwardly there is this fruit that’s just withering in the vine. You’ll know it since you feel it.

After all the introductory razzmatazz and wonderful feast, we were ready for the actual awards ceremonies. One by one, the winners in the winning tables were called upon to receive their prizes consisting of an in scripted trophy, a certificate of achievement (just dying to be framed), and of course the prize money. My turn came. I shook hands with the award presenter and received my prizes. Both my presenter and me turned to the audience and smiled. Beautiful people were clapping their hands and the cameras where rolling, flashbulbs popping, and this was like, nirvana. I felt excited, happy, but also worried that I may have some spinach stuck on my teeth. What the heck, I thought, just go with the flow. We stood there for about 10 seconds while all this was going on. I told the lady presenter thank you so much and proceeded to walk back to my table making sure that I did not slip and fall. For a few seconds there, I felt like one of those celebrities. I imagined that the paparazzi was after me and resisted the urge to run and slide into my chair. Oh well, so much for drama.

The evening proceeded with Christmas songs rendered by entertainers and the Balita Media production dept. Again they were superb in their singing. There were door prizes raffles presented by Moneygram International. I guess that night was meant for me since again my raffle ticket won a high tech DVD player! Like the saying comes, when you have your 15minutes of glory, you might as well enjoy it. Winning that door prize was not rigged but pure luck. There is this book titled “The Secret” which deals with the law of attraction. A person who smiles and thinks positive will attract good things. I have been feeling that way lately and wonderful things happen. Believe me, it works. Thank you, Jesus!

Going back about five months ago, my good friend and mentor Vics Magsaysay sent me an email indicating that Balita Media News was holding a writing contest. The theme of which was “What My Filipino Heritage Means to Me”. This was right up my alley since I know the Philippines, being born and raised there. And I believed I had the talent and ability to pull it off.

My journey to success started with an email and phone call from a friend. An opportunity was presented to me. A decision had to be made as to whether I would take advantage of this window. The mind and heart wanted to win this tournament. Henceforth, I decided to go for it.

The effort placed into writing that winning piece started off as work. As I continued writing and getting involved, it became a passion. And a passion is never work since we are in pursuit of something that we really want. That poem was written in less than a day since it was inspired. The heart and soul was into it.

Real winning does not just come to us. Like somebody said, “A journey of a thousand miles starts with one step.”

Make that step. Just do it.

Article by: John F Lacson