Thursday, September 6, 2007

FILIPINO PRIDE

First thing you see on me is my brown skin. This is not just melanin; it is my identity. Inferior? Dirty? Savage? No. Cultured? Interesting? Diverse? Yes. Long ago my parents were born in the Southeast Asian islands known as the Philippines, but I first opened my eyes in America. Passing the years, I've become fluent in English, eaten hamburgers, and voted In democratic elections. I have grown to be American, but Never have I forgotten, discarded, nor despised my Filipino Origins.

Pride runs through my veins every June 12th.
Roar is what I do when Manny Pacquaio lands the knockout punch.
If I eat one lumpia I follow it with five more, and my next
Dialect to learn is Tagalog. What does my Filipino heritage mean to me?Entitlement to culture, history, uniqueness; it is my identity.

by: Mark Justin Lacson
(a graduating film major at Calstate Long Beach and currently doing his internship at G4 TV Network in Los Angeles... )