Wednesday, July 4, 2007

U.S. Patriot Act H.R. 3199 Up Close & Personal: Or The Photo That Should Not Be


Pasadena,California: July Fourth at 5pm, while thousands of people were congregating towards the world famous Rose Bowl, I was on a chase under the bridges of Pasadena notably the old Route 66 Colorado Bridge paralel to the U.S. 210 Freeway. I was not interested yet for the Fireworks at the RoseBowl. I was after a small brush fire which erupted under the Colorado Bridge being extinguished by Pasadena Fire Department. Being a local, I know my way around (after covering the world famous Rose Parade for more than 15 plus years)and was using a short cut under the Bridge trying to gauge if the fire would flare into a full scale brush fire. Relief came when white smoke emanated up from the efforts Pasadena Firefighters on scene (and even on top of the old Colorado bridge )under the counter-clockwise continuos fly over of the Pasadena Blue & White Police helicopter flying at treetop level over the 210.

I ended my chase and headed up into the hills towards Old Town Pasadena when the massive structure on my right which is the old Route 66 Colorado Bridge, its grandeur showing in its classic arches and series of lamp posts towering a few hundred feet to my right, caught my attention. I did a quick turn into a dirt road under the Bridge which would lend me a good nice photograph I suppose. When I turned to park, there was a small compact tinted light blue car parked on my left, nothing else but the two hills straddling the Arroyo Seco winding its merry way into South Pasadena. Ahh, I thought, someone in the car might be waiting for somebody or who knows, might be on a hot date?

I went out of my car, took my trusted EOS 5D and started taking two shots of the lovely classic architecture of the bridge. I was interrupted immediately by footsteps and heard somebody behind me in an authoritative voice: "Who Are You?." When I turned around, it was a fully uniformed Pasadena Police Officer who came out of the civilian compact car. It was a surprise for me. I thought Police used cars that were black and whites, whites, detective types Crown Victorias and nothing else (this one was a nice metallic light blue civilian looking compact)....I told him I'm media and showed him some identification, explained to him that I shouln't have taken the shot because of the "Patriot Act." He understood, wrote down my information and let me go.

What? No more photos of bridges and government buildings? Yes my friends. Under House Resolution 3199, better known as the "USA Patriot Improvement and Reauthorization Act of 2005", as amended in 2006, say goodbye to nice photos of Bridges and Government Structures. Thanks to laptop data retrieved from suspected Al Queda operatives in the U.S.,(now estimated to have sleeper cells in 40 states)with detailed description of bridges and tunnels, be very sure that before you take photos of public establishments, you have "proper permits" (which to my knowledge there is no process yet in place).

On the other hand, I am so glad, that with the massive fireworks display for the Fourth of July celebration enjoyed by thousands at the Rose Bowl, your security and mine is in good hands. I was not offended. I was amazed that our government especially the Pasadena Police Department (and dozens of other law enforcement agencies lending a hand), they have taken your safety and mine very seriously. Enjoy the Fireworks. But if you have the chance, thank the law enforcement officers who go out of their way to make these events safe for you as well as for me. Happy Fourth of July America.

(Jay Fermin ppp-usa)