Sunday, July 15, 2007

Antonio “ Tony Boy” Escalante


(Photo by Francis Esteban)

10 Questions while on his U.S. vacation
Chef & Owner of world famous “Antonio’s” in Tagaytay


I have been asked by friends from the Philippines and here in the U.S. several times over the years who this Chef Escalante is. He has become sort of an enigmatic persona making waves in the fine dining scene in the Philippines. (He is on the top ten list of the latest edition of a well-known Manila Magazine) You can google your way in the Internet and find “Antonio’s” good reviews everywhere. Well, I cannot blame them for from Filipino Americans like me, going back to visit the Philippines flashes pleasant greetings of the sight and sound again of our country. First that comes on strong would be of course our family and friends. Second on the excitement list: places like Bohol or Boracay. Ahhh, just the feeling of time standing still and lazy days going by in amazing places would be the best. Third and I guess the most that balikbayans long for ….of course …. Is the food.

People I have talked to coming back from the Philippines have exclaimed that the best food paradise hidden in the vicinity of Taal lake in Tagaytay is indeed “Antonio’s”. From the Spanferckel Boneless suckling pig stuffed with herbs, potato and fennel, and served with Sauerkraut, Apple Sauce, German Mustard, aaahhhhh, to his Foie Gras Three Way Mesclun Salad, Pan Seared Duck Liver Glazed with Honey and Peppercorn… to the Oyster Creamed Soup and of course the main course of tender Oven Roasted Beef Loin served with mushroom, potato and Goose Liver Foam, or the imported Grilled Peppered Sirloin Steak with Maitre’D’Hotel served with Onion Rings … awesome.

On his recent U.S. vacation, I shot ten questions to the man behind the success and the uniqueness of “Antonio’s”, Tony Boy himself. Having known him since childhood from our Bacolod days, to the interwined experiences we have had having our families very close (both our fathers were very close friends), I wanted to peal the veil and see “Tony Boy”, or as he is popularly known as embroidered on his white chef uniform; “Chef Escalante.” I shot the questions straight and here they are:

Question: Why locate Antonio’s in Tagaytay?
Tony Boy: Well, I just wanted to have a place to visit on the weekend and spend time with family and friends and grow my vegetables and herbs. At first I didn’t plan on building a restaurant.

Question: How would you describe Antonio’s?
Tony Boy: I want Antonio’s to create an atmosphere where people get the hospitality and make them feel like they are just going to my home. They are my personal guests. Set up would be casual but elegant. A place that would really reflect what I think my home should feel like.


Question: Where did you learn culinary arts?
Tony Boy: I really liked to cook since then. I have been experimenting with different recipes since I can remember but for my formal schooling, I studied culinary arts in Adelaide, Australia (Le Cordon Bleu-Adelaide).

Question: At home, what do you always keep in stock in your refrigerator?
Tony Boy: Butter and eggs (with a tongue in cheek chuckle).

Question: What’s your best-kept secret for success at Antonio’s?
Tony Boy: Attention to detail in the ambiance of the place and the food preparation. I serve fresh salad greens and herbs, which are grown from my own garden.

Question: Are reservations required?
Tony Boy: Reservations are highly recommended especially on weekends.

Question: What is your typical day at Antonio’s?
Tony Boy: My typical day includes attending to my vegetable garden. Then I go and check out the other location, “Breakfast at Antonio’s”. And then I head back to Antonio’s where I oversee lunch and dinner. After lunch though, I go to my third location, “The Grill by Antonio’s.”

Question: What inspires you?
Tony Boy: To live and work in Tagaytay, at my own pace and my own time.

Question: What do you cook for someone you like to impress?
Tony Boy: A good salad, good roast and a dessert made of fruit and cheese.

Question: Will you branch out in the U.S.?
Tony Boy: (Smiles shyly) I wish.

There you have it. An inner peak behind the person who is one of the most amiable and humble friends I have ever known. Unaffected by the sudden success of the restaurant, Tony Boy continues on with each day to achieve his dreams. Now I understand what the secret is. The food is fantastic. The ambiance is warm and friendly. The Chef is top rated but still the old down to earth Tony Boy I knew since then. Saying goodbye before heading back to the Philippines after his family vacation in the U.S., Tony Boy, in his usual boyish and playful way, beckoned me to go and visit Antonio’s the next time I will be going to the Philippines. With a friendly charm like these and with the best culinary experience he offers at Antonio’s, who can resists his invitation? Another very good reason of having a Philippine vacation soon.

(Article by Jay Fermin ppp-usa)
email feedback to Jayfermin@charter.net
read more of this article in Pinoy World
September 2007 Issue:
U.S. Philippines & Australia edition

(Antonio’s can be reached for reservations at
(046) 413-0975
Address: Barrio Neogan, Tagaytay City, Philippines.)